Tuesday, March 3, 2009

And the baby senses win

For 3 days now our house has had a funky smell. Not just funky, but gross. The first time I smelled it, it woke me up at night and I have smelled it every since. It was always strongest in the kitchen but at first I thought maybe it was just the trash and it would go away when Ben took it out so I didn't say anything.

The next day, it was a bit stronger and I noticed the trash had been taken out so I went on a journey to find the origin of the awful smell just to come up with nothing. So I asked Ben if he smelled the awful smell in the kitchen and he went in there, smelled around, then looked at me and said that my baby senses are just on overdrive and it's probably just the way the house smells naturally because he smelled nothing. I told him if that is the way our house smells, I'm moving. It was horrible.

So we came home last night from my mom's (day 3 of awful smell) and when we walked in the house the smell practically smacked me in the face, it was so strong. That's when Ben said he could "kinda" smell it now. Well thank God. I was beginning to think I was going crazy.

So that's when we both when through the kitchen and living room smelling everything in sight, searching all cabinets, looking under the couch in the fridge. It was something rotting, that's all I knew. We checked EVERYTHING only to be even more clueless as to what it was. That's when it hit me. I looked at Ben and said, "it's a dead mouse." He then adamantly denied that's what it could be but he checked all the traps anyway. Nothing. Once again.

Until this morning. I had had it. I was going to find it and I wasn't leaving until I did. I noticed it was strongest in front of the fridge and stove so I made Ben move them to look behind and under. Nothing. So Ben decided to take off the bottom part of the back of the fridge to look inside. After about 10 minutes he looks up at me and says "I found it, you were right. It's a dead mouse." Aha! I knew it. I win.

I am so relieved to be rid of the horrid smell of a dead animal in my house but I can't help but wonder why in the world could I smell it THREE DAYS ago and Ben couldn't until last night. Is my sense of smell really that much stronger now? Pregnancy is so weird.

1 comment:

Heidi Kellems said...

Maybe it's because you have or will have two noses :)